Thursday, December 01, 2011

Monthly Commuter Tax advantage goes to cars, not people

Are you aware of this? I was bummed to see my monthly commuter benefits (which help cover my PATH pass and metro card with pre-tax pay) but I was outraged when I saw that parking benefits are *increasing*!!
Wtf?!?! Let's all drive more so we can use more gas!
I'm calling my congressman to voice my disappointment. What else can I do? 

Begin forwarded message:

Outrageous!


From: orderconfirmation@wageworks.com 
Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 1:13 AM
To: Mahalel, Laura
Subject: Monthly Commuter Benefits Reminder

 

MONTHLY COMMUTER BENEFITS REMINDER

This email is being sent to you to confirm your order for the JANUARY 2012 benefit month. If you do not wish to make any changes to your order, you do not need to take any action.

Important Note: The temporary $230 monthly pre-tax transit limit set by Congress in 2009 will expire at the end of 2011. Beginning with the January 2012 benefit month, the pre-tax transit limit will decrease to $125 a month and any election amount over $125 will be deducted from your pay on an after-tax basis. Beginning with the January 2012 benefit month, the monthly pre-tax limit for parking will increase from $230 to $240.