Tuesday, August 08, 2006

City of Peace II

Monday was rough. The short walk to the dentist (just past the Shulamit hotel) was exhausting. My legs felt like they were full of lead. Walking home was even harder because two strangers told me I should seek cover, that there were warnings of an attack coming on Haifa. With every leaden step I scanned to see where the nearest building was in case sirens roared and I'd have to run for cover. I was afraid my legs wouldn't be able to run. I considered calling Adi to get me by car but I was scared that stopping the car to run to safety would be even more dangerous.

At home I couldn't function. Adi made me lunch. I showered to stay cool and tried to work between resting.

In the evening the sirens struck. We took no chances now and instead of stopping one flight down went down both flights to the basment "bunker" room. After the 2nd or 3rd I came up and threw up. Cholent doesn't like broccoli I guess. That and despite my semi-calm, my body wasn't enjoying the stress.

That's it, said Adi, start packing. I decided to let Adi decide. I didn't want to leave but I felt I was no longer able to decide.

The drive was uncomofortable. I had a pillow from home and lay in the back, but couldn't really rest. My stomach hurt. I could feel every bump in the road. Adi was listening to the news and it was all so grim. Crying widows. Reports of rising anti-semitism around the world.

MORE SOON WE're OFF TO THE MOVIES NOW IN JERUSALEM!! :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is a GOOD MOVE to leave Haifa. Let me know if you need Jerusalem contacts. Thank you so much for keeping us all posted of every barf and bump! We love you and are thinking of you every day.
xoxoxox Abby, Nathan and "Squiggle on the way"

Anonymous said...

Hi L and A,
Glad to hear from you guys.
Great blog.
S & P, Delray Beach, FL

Anonymous said...

Laura,

I just got off the phone and want you to know that my thoughts are with you. I've read your blog and your experiences sound terrifying. Please know that my thoughts are with you and that I'm thrilled to hear that that you've got something cooking in the oven-b-sha'ah tovah. There are many things I want to say. Maybe a comment isn't the best place for me to offer all this but I don't have your email right now. In the only ways possible, please take care of yourself.

Love,
Julie Blumenfeld